Monday, March 15, 2010

Do short hair dachsunds shed more during the summer?

My 1 1/2 year old mini dachsund has seemed to shed a lot this summer.....this is his first summer as an adult and I just notice that his hair is somewhat thinner on his sides and his neck. I know they shed a little during the summer. He is a short hair and I am just wandering if this is normal. I have a 4 month old mini too and her hair is thick and healthy, maybe I am worrying over nothing! Does anyone have any ideas. I just want to make sure that it is nothing I need to consult my vet about.Do short hair dachsunds shed more during the summer?
Hi, I have a couple of thoughts for you. First of all, yes many dogs do shed more during the summer months because of the warmer weather. If the hair has just simply thinned out a bit, that is probably normal. But you should definitely keep an eye out for any bald spots and excessive hair loss, as this can be a sign of mange (mites) or other skin conditions. If you notice balding starting to occur in some spots, have the dog seen by a vet.





If the shedding becomes a nuisance in itself, I highly recommend a grooming tool called the Furminator. It is a bit pricey, but totally worth it! Good luck.Do short hair dachsunds shed more during the summer?
SPring is the time for most shedding. Stress does cause excessive shedding. It is not uncommon for doxies to have less hair on the neck/chest area under the chin.
  • makeup show
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment